Thursday, October 15, 2009

Who's Cookin in Bath County?




Who’s Cookin’ In Bath County?
In the kitchen with Tina Wells Staton
From her first batch of homemade biscuits to learning to master the perfect meringue, growing up on a farm has defiantly influenced the way Tina Staton cooks.
The youngest of six children born to the late George and Christine Wells, this weeks star of Who’s Cookin” in Bath County grew up on a farm near Sharpsburg.
A country girl at heart, Staton says she loves to pamper her family with home cooking’ and baked goods.
“I loved growing up on a farm and learning to cook from my mother”. Staton said. “Mom was an old fashion cook and could fix a meal without having to measure anything”.
Staton says she learned to cook somewhere around her teen years.
“I guess I married kind of young so I started cooking at an early age”, Staton said. “I can remember the first meal I cooked by myself was breakfast. I fixed my husband Tim some homemade biscuits and gravy, and well, the biscuits turned out kind of hard.”
Family meals during the holidays are some of Staton’s fondest memories.
“Mom would always have homemade cakes, pies and candy during the holidays”, Staton said. “The one thing I really miss is my moms cooking”.
With her own children grown, Staton stays busy cooking up the same cherished recipes for here two grandchildren, Ava Grace who is three and four year old Bryson.
“My grandchildren keep me pretty busy these days”, Staton said. “I still bake a lot for Ava and Bryson”. “One of our favorites is a chocolate pie that I still make using moms recipe.”
Mom’s homemade Chocolate pie
1 cup sugar
3 1/2 tablespoon cocoa
2 egg yolks
dash of salt
1/2 tablespoon butter
3 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cup milk
Mix sugar, flour, cocoa, salt and eggs yolks together, add milk, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens. Pour in baked pie shell.
Meringue- 6 egg white and about cup sugar, beat until thickens poor over pie and back in oven until meringue browns.
If you would like share your memories of learning how to cook and a favorite recipe with our readers, send Kym an email at kym@bathconewsoutlook.com to schedule an interview.

No comments: